Monday 28 May 2012

The Taj Mahal


Day 9.

May 21, 2012

Week 2


Taj Mahal Day! The previous night, I visited a mall where I had two Saris fitted and made for me. The red one was simply too beautiful, not to wear to the Taj at Sunrise. Plus, where else am I going to wear a Sari? 

This is the grand entry fort of the Taj Mahal. (It's actually the central gate you must enter after entering from the east, south or west gates.)



The final entr gate before the Taj Mahal. Well, it is one of the 7 Wonders of the Man-made world. It's worth the suspense!


A little peek though the gate...




I had to steal the show at this point!

Here she is, in all her Grand Glory! With beautiful light from the East.

Incredible carvings that were then filled with puzzle like pieces of precious and semi precious gems!
A closer look at the stone decorative inlay. Amethist, Emerald, Agate even Sapphire and Onyx in some places. Pictures not allowed to be taken inside, where the tomb lay.



History Lesson!
The tomb was built in the C16th. It took 20,000 workers, 22years to complete. The wife of the great king, gave birth to 14 children. During the birth of the last, she passed away. Taj Amahal (Excellence of the Palace,) made her King promise 2 things, upon her death bed. That he would not marry again and that he would bury her in a wonderful tomb.

The queen was buried in a nearby city and buried by the Taj until finally laying to rest in the dead center of the temple. Her husband, the King was later placed in the tomb, by her side. This being the one and only part of the palace that is not accurately symmetrical.




In the distance, you can see the Red Palace. The same one we visited the previous day!
We found a lady covered in Mehndi!


 Later...
It was a fun, amazing, exhilarating and inspiring experience, going to the Taj Mahal. It truly is a timeless structure of excellence. It was also exciting to wear the Sari. Many Indian women came and had their photo with me. I expect I'll be given some of these photos from Bill and Diana, whom I went to the Taj with. They said it was quite outlandish to wear the Sari and I'm really glad I did.


I was driven (5+hrs) back to Delhi where I caught a plane to Bangalore, South India.
I needed a big rest and rejuvenation, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment